As a long-time lover of all things Italian, I was thrilled to travel across Italy and experience the people, food, wine and beautiful architecture. I am happy to say that my Italian vacation surpassed my already high expectations.
We flew directly into Rome, followed by a two-day stay in Florence and finished off our vacation in Positano. Rome was full of history, Florence was a charming city, complete with art, beautiful churches and wonderful food, and Positano was a relaxing paradise.
Overall, I found Italy to be beautiful, full of friendly, welcoming and very passionate people. The food was amazing, typically made of fresh ingredients and the house wine came by the liter or half liter and was always cheaper and better than most of the wine I buy in the US.
ROMA
We arrived in Italy, jet lagged but enthusiastic all the same, and immediately started exploring. We made a wish in the Trevi Fountain and visited Vatican City. At Vatican City, we took a tour of St. Peter's Basilica (or tomb). The tombs were underneath the Vatican itself, and amazing to see. At dinner, Erin discovered a new favorite beer, Peroni. Peroni is a standard Italian beer - think the Bud Light of Italy. Our hotel had a lovely terrace where we enjoyed wine in the evening and breakfast the following morning.
FLORENCE
After only a day in Rome, we were off to Florence. We took the train, which was easy to use and a quick means of transportation. I liked Rome, but I loved Florence.
In Florence, we walked all around the city, taking everything in. We visited Basilica di Santa Croce, a beautiful church. We also used Rick Steve's audio guide to take a tour through the Uffizi Museum, which was filled with famous artwork, including Botticelli, Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and Raffaello.
We also took a wine tour through the Chianti region of Italy. It was about a 45 minute bus ride into the Tuscan countryside and we arrived at an old castle that has since been turned into a vineyard. They had acres of grapes vines and olive trees. They make Chianti Classico and produce their own olive oil. Everything was fantastic. After the first winery tour, we made our way down into a little town, and there we happened to stumble upon a local festival in progress. This festival was hilarious - we walked up to a group of people dressed up as Barbie and Ken and doing a skit to "Come on Barbie, Let's Go Party..." the skits that followed were just as hilarious and I'm sad to say we didn't get any pictures.
We also ate and drank very well in Florence, thanks to friend recommendations and the rather large Rick Steve's book we toted around.
POSITANO
I liked Rome, I loved Florence and I never wanted to leave Positano. Positano is considered the jewel of the Amalfi Coast and I very quickly understood why. The view is breathtaking, it's situated right on the coast and is a very charming city. We stayed in a region called Montepertuso, at a bed & breakfast overlooking the city and the sea.
When we arrived, we were met by one of the three brothers who helps to run the B&B. He put our luggage on a lift and we started our climb up to the B&B. The trail was steep, but felt sort of adventurous (the first time up at least).
We spent more time in Positano than Florence and Rome. While we were there we visited Pompeii with two Australian friends that we met at our B&B. Pompeii was amazing, many of the preserved relics had been moved to a museum in Naples, but it was incredible to walk the same streets that people walked so long before us and see the structures that they built and lived in. We also took a cooking class, which ended up being a bit more than we'd bargained for! We worked with a local Chef in his restaurant, preparing four traditional Neapolitan dishes. He was extremely serious and particular - we felt incredible pressure to do everything right. However, despite our best efforts, we still had some trouble. The dinner turned out great though and we went home with about twenty recipes to try. We also spent time relaxing on the beach, where instead of sand, there are HOT black rocks. And let me tell you, there is no way to look graceful getting in an out of the water when you're on hot black rocks.
My favorite memory of Positano was a dinner at a restaurant just a few minutes away from our B&B. We actually went there twice during our stay, once by ourselves and a second time with new friends we made in Positano. This restaurant has an amazing view of Positano and the sea, and you eat right at sunset. There is no menu, it's family run and they prepare everything fresh and serve it family style. Most foods are local in Positano, and by local, I mean that every house has their own garden where they produce much of what they eat. Positano is known for their lemons and well, and almost everyone who lives there produces their own limonchello (an after dinner liquor).
I could go on and on about Italy - that's how much I loved it. But I will say this - if you are planning to visit, let me know, because I will gladly share my recommendations with you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
Yesterday was a long day of moving complete with a furniture delivery, mattress delivery and cable/internet set up. Boy am I glad that part ...
-
November snuck up on me in a hurry - it seems strange that I've been living and working in North Carolina for five months. And I have be...
-
Last week I bought my very first car -- a Hyundai Sonata! It is now my second baby (Maya is my first). I love the car and still can't ge...
-
This weekend we met at the most beautiful bed and breakfast deep in horse country in Kentucky. I'd never been to a bed and breakfast be...
-
Jordan came to visit for the weekend and we took a quick trip to Charleston, SC. It's a gorgeous, historic town with great restaurants ...
-
This past week Rachel and Jordan were in town to celebrate Thanksgiving (and Christmas). We had a great week filled with 5Ks, food and fun...
-
Christmas is quickly approaching and I've been busier than ever. In my free time, I've been busy getting ready for Christmas! All...
-
I spent my birthday in Boston with one of my best friends - Karine. I've always wanted to see Boston and what better time than my birthd...
-
This weekend I had my first visitor to NC! Lemont came down for 4 days -- we packed a lot of fun into that precious time! He arrived on Fr...
-
I am officially in week two of the real world. So far...so good. I am in Atlanta for two days for a new hire orientation at headquarters. I ...
No comments:
Post a Comment