This weekend we met at the most beautiful bed and breakfast deep in horse country in Kentucky. I'd never been to a bed and breakfast before so I didn't know how I'd like it. I'm very happy to report that it was perfect!
As I drove along looking for the Pillow & Paddock Bed and Breakfast I was amazed by the sweet little town of La Grange. I was surrounded by horse farms lined with wooden fences until I finally found where we were staying:
I met Francesca, the innkeeper, and her two little dogs - Charlie and Molly. They showed me around the bed and breakfast and I immediately began to explore as I waited for Lemont.
Our Room - The Nantucket Room
The Guest Lounge - Complete with DVDs, CDs, games, snacks and beverages.
We had fresh flowers waiting in our room as well as all over the rest of the house. The other rooms were beautiful as well - each with its own theme. The themes included a Country Fare room and a Gatsby room among others.
There were also chocolates waiting in a dish on our night table - what a treat! I was extremely impressed with the decor throughout the house.
As I waited for Lemont to arrive, I settled into a rocking chair on the porch on a beautiful night.
When Lemont got to town we enjoyed some KY barbecue. On Saturday we woke up to a delicious breakfast. We quickly learned that Francesca used to own a couple of restaurants and her food showed it. The breakfast menu: Fruit and yogurt parfait to start, followed by strawberry french toast, sausage and eggs.
The table was also set beautifully every time we sat down.
Then we were off to go horseback riding! I've been horseback riding many many times, however, Lemont had only been once when he was young. I was very impressed with how well he did - they said "You, in the green shirt!" and he replied, "Me?!" but then walked right up, put his foot in the stirrup and swung right up on top of Grasshopper.
Only after the ride did we learn that Grasshopper got his name because when he was four months old he jumped a fence!
After the ride, we returned to the inn to get a lunch that Francesca packed us for the Botanical Gardens nearby. Our picnic was great - the weather was perfect and the gardens were beautiful.
We also explored Main Street in La Grange on Saturday afternoon. We had great ice cream and an encounter with the train that runs right through the center of the road! I thought for sure it must be a retired track, but boy was I wrong.
On Saturday night, we had a four course dinner at the B&B with another young couple - Katie and Ben. We really enjoyed having dinner, chatting and sipping wine with them. Lemont was so impressed with the strawberry truffle for dessert that he had two helpings! (Can't take him anywhere)
On Saturday evening we enjoyed wine on the front porch then returned to our room to find turndown treats! This may have been my favorite part - wouldn't the world be wonderful if you always found a turndown treat on your pillow?
| Yes, we had matching robes. And yes, the robes matched the rooms - we checked :) |
Sunday's breakfast was quite possibly the best! It included a fruit smoothie to start with - followed by a homemade cherry pop tart. I wish I had a picture to share because the pop tart was incredible. Then we had a veggie quiche, bacon and hashbrowns.
Needless to say, Lemont and I agreed that our Monday morning breakfast would pale in comparison.
It was truly a perfect weekend getaway - at least for us.
You always find the coolest things to do. Soo glad you had fun.
ReplyDeleteLooks like a cool place, glad you had fun. I stayed at a bed and breakfast once when I travelled to Cape Cod alone and it was fun to have someone else do the cooking and to meet new people. Thanks for sharing your pictures, they are cool.
ReplyDelete